Monday 23 April 2012

Old Mod and Skinhead Go Shopping (Tighten Up)


Derek, was a Mod in the 1960s who became a Skinhead in the same decade. He shopped at a lot of the same places, wore the same kind of gear and rode the same kind of scooter. The music changed along with the hair and class attitude, but the Mods had been around for too long by 1968. They'd appeared at a time when a Tory government told the people that they'd never had it so good, and really got going before Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies did for the Conservatives in 1962.


"I became a Skin partly because the nob-end of the hippy scene started taking over our look, and partly because I really didn't like the hippies. Being a Skin meant not having to buy new suits all the time, just shirts, trousers, shoes and braces. Suits were for the middle-class, I were from the working class and proud of it. Mind you, I didn't like Labour neither. They were too soft on the hippies and commies."


"By the end of the 1960s I couldn't be bothered too much with shopping. I knew what I wanted, where to get it and how much it cost. So I'd always go to the places I knew best. And after I got married, me misses bought stuff for me and being a Skin started to come second to everything else. Know what I mean?"




















2 comments:

  1. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. medical workstations on wheels

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! 성인용품쇼핑몰창업

    ReplyDelete